January 3, 2014

Best Frozen Fruit Smoothie EVER

Last night I decided I would make an entire week worth of smoothies. I wanted to do this because every morning/lunch I have a fruit smoothie as my meal. To cut down on time having to cut the fruit up and prepare one smoothie, I decided to prepare seven all at once. The best part of these frozen fruit smoothies is that they're healthy and yummy.

Are you ready to start detoxifying your body? This recipe will give you a huge boost of energy from the fruit and flax seed meal. (If you have never tried flax seed, this is the perfect recipe to sneak it into.) The great thing is it hardly has any flavor what so ever. But you get all the good health benefits from it!

Flax seed is loaded with:

-Omega-3 essential fatty acids, "good" fats. Each Tablespoon of ground flax seed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s

-Lignans, which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant benefits. You need just two Tablespoons of flax seed to get the same amount of lignans as 30 cups of broccoli.

-Fiber, flax seed contains soluble and insoluble types

This smoothie recipe is also a lot cheaper than having to go out and buy a smoothie every day. Just think it costs you about $4 dollars for one smoothie. Here's how much I spent on an entire week worth of smoothies:

Ground Flax Seed Meal $3.48
Silk Almond Milk Unsweetened $3.28
Strawberry Light and Fit Yogurt $2.89
Bag of spinach $1.79
Organic Apple Juice 100% juice $2.49
Strawberries $2.89
Blueberries $1.49
Bananas $.62

 My smoothie recipe costs $18.93 total for seven smoothies and only $2.70 per smoothie. (*And I still have a ton of left over ingredients!*)




Strawberry-Kiwi Cleanse  Yields 7 bags of frozen fruit smoothies

Here's what I did:
1. Make an entire ice cube tray (14 cubes) of yogurt, and place into freezer for about 1 hour.I used Strawberry Light and Fit..

2. Meanwhile while yogurt cubes are freezing, slice strawberries, bananas, and kiwi into bite size pieces.

3. For each bag place:
-1 whole banana
-3 slices of kiwi
-2 strawberries
-1 handful of blueberries
-1 Tbsp ground flax seed meal
-1 handful of spinach
-2 frozen yogurt ice cubes

4. Freeze over night makes seven bags total.

5. When ready to serve:
-place 1/4 cup almond milk unsweetened and 3/4 cup of organic apple juice along with the frozen smoothie mix into a blender. Pulse until desired consistency. Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. I do; I prefer berries, spinach, and chia seeds. What I'd like to try is a smoothie with kale and maybe mangoes (when they're back in season). I'll experiment this weekend and see if I can come up with a really great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bri, do you have any recipes for smoothies? I would love to try some new flavors for next week since school is starting up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, Thank you most definitely give it a try! I have one everyday for breakfast or lunch depending on my mood !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Franchesca let me know what your results are! If you tried different ingredients etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Franchesca PolancoJanuary 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM

    This looks amazing, going to have to try this out soon!


    xo Franchesca
    cityymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nikki, thank you let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of yogurt cubes! Definitely going to try this - found you from the hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea...looks delicious!!

    Following from the blog hop !


    http://beautybyjennafer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Pretty 'n' Plain! Let me know if you try them! They make for a good meal replacement for breakfast and or lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. these smoothies look yum! following you on bloglovin now xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete

Comment