January 2, 2014

Healthy Homemade Chili

Tonight for dinner I made a healthy-clean chili packed with lots of veggies and protein. It has been pretty darn cold here in Minnesota lows in the -4 degrees not including the wind chill! So it seemed like a perfect night to make something that reminds me of my mothers warm homemade cooking.

My mothers recipe for chili is great too, but this one I included here has a lot more veggies and uses ground turkey instead of ground beef.

While the chili was cooking, I decided to make an entire weeks supply of frozen smoothies (Check back, and I should have the recipe posted sometime this weekend).

Follow me on my clean eating journey. This will be week 3 for me, however if the rest of you were like me, I struggled a bit to stay on track this past week due to traveling for the holidays. I have noticed a HUGE difference in a boost of energy, I don't feel so sluggish anymore. Enjoy!




Healthy Homemade Chili 

Ingredients   Serves 10

2lbs 99% fat-free ground turkey
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 white onion, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp tomato paste
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes, no-salt added
1 (150z) can diced tomatoes, no-salt added
1/2 tsp. hot sauce
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped
1 (15oz) can black beans
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
Pinch of pepper
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp. oregano
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 packet Stevia

Instructions

1. Pour olive oil in a large pan and saute onion and garlic until onions look to be tender about 2 minutes.

2. Add ground turkey and cook until lightly browned, draining excess liquid as necessary.

3. Add the remaining ingredients and cook on medium-to-low heat for about one hour.



3 comments:

  1. My boyfriend loves this recipe, he usually doesn't like turkey. However he LOVES this chili recipe! Let me know what your results are! I was just looking at your recipes for flour-less desserts. I might have to try some of yours out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chili! Definitely could use a healthier version - I will definitely try this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chili has been a favorite around my mothers house as we were kids growing up. It was a easy, and pretty affordable as well.

      I hope your results turn out! Let me know if you have any questions!

      Delete

Comment