January 6, 2014

Healthy Sesame Chicken

Right now in Minnesota it's -12 degrees outside, and I am still facing this stupid cold since New Years Eve (Ugh). But I am feeling a bit better today, so I thought I would make something good to eat for dinner tonight. It's a bit early but I was so excited because I have been craving this for a few weeks now.

 One of my favorite foods to eat is by far Chinese food! But when I would go out to eat, I never really knew what really in the food. But making this at home, you know exactly what you are putting into your body! A lot of chicken from the restaurant would be deep fried. But this recipe is the exact opposite, but is very good and full of flavor! Now that I am eating better--a lot cleaner, I decided to make a healthier version of sesame chicken. Once you try this you will be addicted!

Ingredients Yields: 4 servings
  • 1/2 cup Honey
  • 5 tablespoons Low Sodium Soy Sauce
  • 4 tablespoons Sesame Seeds
  • 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • 2 Egg Whites
  • 2 tablespoons Corn Starch
  • 3 medium sized Chicken Breasts, cubed into bite size pieces
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
  • 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, diced
  • 1 small Yellow Onion, diced 
  • 1 cup of Whole Green Beans (cooked)
  • 4 Green Onions, sliced
  • 3 tablespoons Coconut Oil
  • 4 servings of Prepared Brown Rice

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, and sesame seeds. Whisk together and set aside.

2. Season cubed chicken with salt and pepper

3. In a large bowl whisk together egg whites and corn starch. Next toss in seasoned chicken until lightly coated.

4. In a large non-stick skillet add a tablespoon of coconut oil and heat over medium-high heat. Once pan is hot add in the peppers, onions, and cooked whole green beans and cook for 4-5 minutes until slightly softened. Set aside.

5. In the same skillet heat up 2 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add in the chicken and cook for 5-8 minutes until golden brown and fully cooked. Add in the peppers, onions, and whole green beans, along with the sliced green onions and sesame sauce.

6. Stir and serve over prepared brown rice. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Yay, I will be showing my progress of my new healthy lifestyle. In the past I modeled but haven't for a few years due to gaining a little bit of weight. I was on average about 117lbs, and now I weigh 141lbs. So I am trying! Lets keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm checking out your blog and I absolutely love it! I am a health nut and I am always looking for new things to eat that are good for your body! I am now following you!
    thebeautybugx0.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harlynn, thanks for joining the blog hop! If you share the photo with the link it usually goes viral! I am glad you are going to try this. It's sooo good! My boyfriend loves it too. Which is nice, because it's hard to eat healthy sometimes with him because he usually doesn't like the fact that's healthier. But he has been liking my new recipes which is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh my gosh looks delicious!!
    Definitely going in the recipe book. c:


    <3
    Harlynn
    www.mindyourmadness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Danavee, if you're a fan of Chinese I promise that you will love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for dropping by! I hit follow on Bloglovin too!!!

    This does look outstanding!

    ReplyDelete

Comment